Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Would You Like A Free Transit Map? Free Map? Would You Like A Free Map? Transit Map? Did You Get Your Free Map? Would You Like One? Free Map?

It's always nice to volunteer for something that takes you outside for the day, especially when the weather is as nice as it was today.


I work for a pretty big, well known company and we launched a really big feature today, so I was happy to help distribute some free wallet sized transit maps that had some of our branding on them.  There were teams of us all over New York today.

I stood in front of Port Authority with 3 of my other co-workers, all of us decked out in matching t-shirts that advertised our new feature, all of us handing out these useful little transit maps.  Surprisingly, people were really friendly and fun (who doesn't want a free sample of something?) and in the 3 hours that we were out there I have to say that not one person was rude, and maybe only 10 people walked by without making any eye contact at all.  Even the people who weren't interested at least smiled and said something.  I handed out almost 1,300 cards ... that's a lot of smiles.

I'm not an Ian McShane fan ... let me just say that right up front.  In fact, I make a point out of saying so every time I see that movie trailer for Death Race.  Not him again I always hiss to Quibbit in the dark as he nods for the millionth time, I can't stand him!

But there I was today, standing on the corner by Port Authority, handing out these maps, smiling brightly at each person passing by, doing my patter Free Map?  Would you like a transit map?  Did you get one?  Can I give you a map?  Free Map?  Would you like a free map? ... when there he was.  Ian McShane -- walking right toward me as I just kept doing my schtick to everyone ... and he actually made eye contact, flashed me a brilliant, genuine smile, said "No thanks, Darlin'" and went back to his conversation.  Hmmmmm.  I take it all back, Ian McShane.  You are a really terrific guy.  I'm happy to add you to my list.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

McShane really is a nice feller. I held a very unimportant position on the set of Deadwood (paper pusher and HBO slave) and in my months there he treated everyone from the lowest of the low to the creator of the series with the same respect and good humor. He always had time for everyone. Most people don't realize how rare that is in this industry. And he does have a great smile.

Luvviepuffaroo said...

I'm glad to hear it wasn't just a fluke ... that he's as nice as he came across yesterday. Thanks for letting me know! I definitely feel bad about dismissing him. Funny the people we like and don't like based on how we interpret them ... as opposed to really knowing them. I always thought that if I ever met John Waters we'd have hours of conversation and witty banter ... he was one of my heroes. Then, when I did get a chance to meet him, he was rude, dismissive and all around disappointing. Maybe he should take a few lessons from Mr. McShane.